Join the Team
TDi Sustainability (TDi) is looking for an experienced (8+ years), enthusiastic, smart, curious, very analytical and detail-oriented senior consultant to fill a full-time position, starting immediately.
|Job title:||Senior Sustainability & Responsible Sourcing, ESG Standards Audit Manager|
|Salary:||A starting salary of £65,000.00 depending on experience and qualifications|
|Reporting to:||Vice President for Europe & Vice President for North America|
TDi is an advisory firm with an agenda: we aim to show that businesses from production to retail, site to shelf, mine to main street – can create long-term value and make a positive difference in people’s lives. TDi combines business consulting expertise, technical knowledge, value chain focus and our sustainability mission to solve complex problems and develop lasting solutions for our clients.
Our track record includes working with the world’s biggest companies and most recognisable brands, as well as lesser-known innovators, entrepreneurs and social enterprises. Our projects include building ESG management systems for investors; the design and application of supply chain due diligence tools and procedures; completing project level non-technical risk assessments and provision of subject matter expertise for sustainability audits; the development of commercialisation strategies for green products and services; and, convening, managing and facilitating multi-company and cross-sector initiatives. We have also launched a new impact investment vehicle and non-profit organisation – The Impact Facility for Sustainable Mining Communities – to facilitate a flow of risk tolerant capital and technical assistance to small-scale miners and community enterprises in our clients’ supply chains. The Impact Facility has launched the Fair Cobalt Alliance and the Lake Victoria Gold Programme with brands including Fairphone, Fairtrade, Signify, Tesla, Glencore, Sono Motors and Solidaridad.
The candidate will be an accomplished professional interested and experienced in applied research, benchmarking, responsible sourcing corporate compliance, voluntary sustainability standards, due diligence and project management. You will be an excellent, clear writer. You will be at ease interacting with clients, representing TDi at external events and taking the initiative. You will report to TDi’s Vice Presidents for Europe and North America and have oversight of junior staff.
- Program management of existing auditing schemes TDi is approved for as an auditor in minerals and metals (e.g. Responsible Minerals Initiative, Bettercoal, the Copper Mark, LME);
- Leading multi-part projects, including strategy development and implementation of responsible sourcing programs of our clients;
- Conducting audits and due diligence assessments;
- Drafting and benchmarking of sustainability standards;
- Developing management and due diligence assessment tools and presentation materials;
- Quality control of work product to meet client/public expectations;
- Oversight of junior staff;
- Project and client management with full responsibility for executing projects from beginning to end; and,
- Representing TDi at business events and conferences and contributing to the TDi website and social media posts.
Everyone who works in our team speaks directly with our clients, which means that strong written and verbal communications are a requisite, as well as confidence in dealing with people at different management levels and working in a range of institutional settings such as SMEs, corporations, NGOs and government agencies.
We are a small team, the members of which work remotely and travel frequently. The applicant will need to be happy working autonomously, managing their own time, prioritising work-load, thinking on their feet, and taking the initiative to ask questions and find solutions to problems.
The successful candidate will have the following skills and knowledge:
- Masters degree that demonstrates knowledge of relevant subject matter and, equally important, skills in critical thinking, data gathering and analysis and writing: social geography, international development or policy, environmental or natural resource management, business and human rights. Master’s degree or MBA preferred;
- Minimum of 8 years relevant professional work experience; work in a consulting environment or for sustainability standards setting initiative is preferred;
- Research and analysis: experience in the completion of qualitative and quantitative desk-based research; instinct for investigative intelligence gathering; talent for analysing and organising data
- Rigour and attention to detail: appetite for thoroughness, thoughtfulness and precision in all things
- Auditing experience conducting due diligence and impact assessments in the areas of human rights, labour, environment, traceability and chain of custody, experience in Asia (India, Thailand, China) and Francophone Africa is an advantage.
- Familiarity with voluntary standards, certification schemes and initiatives and the ability to critique and improve best-practice frameworks and assurance systems preferred. Examples of relevant standards and initiatives include Responsible Jewellery Council, Responsible Steel, IRMA, ASI, Fairtrade, management system standards (e.g. ISO 14001, SA 8000.), IFC Performance Standards, OECD Due Diligence Guidance for Responsible Supply Chains of Minerals from Conflict-Affected and High-Risk Areas, LBMA, World Gold Council, TSM, UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights etc.
- Presentation: proven ability to present data, information and recommendations in written form and using charts, graphs, images and other visual aids; good verbal presentational skills an advantage
- Project management: talent/experience in organisation, planning, and engaging team members
- Consulting skills: listening, framing, negotiating and contracting
- Knowledge of, or experience in, one or more industries. (e.g., mining and mineral industry, electronics, automotive, energy sector, food and agriculture, leather, natural rubber and synthetic materials)
- Language skills: Excellent English-language proficiency essential; Spanish, French and/or Chinese a distinct advantage
- Advanced level in MS Office (PowerPoint, Excel, Word and Outlook)
What we can offer you:
This is a chance to work with and learn from a very experienced team and to lead and contribute to several fascinating, influential and potentially ground-breaking projects in supply chain risk management, responsible sourcing, and impact investing.
- A contract for 40 hours per week
- A competitive salary, commensurate with experience.
- Allowance for professional skill development.
- Macbook and other equipment relevant for the workplace;
- Discretionary bonus;
- 23 days holiday per annum (increasing to 26 over time) plus bank holidays
- Diverse, exciting and impactful work
- Travel: 20%-30% (post COVID)
- Being part of a dynamic and experienced international team passionate about serving its clients to build successful responsible businesses, and committed to corporate sustainability, human rights and social change
- Very flexible working hours and for working remotely, globally
TDi’s offices are located near Stroud, Gloucestershire, UK with satellite offices in New York City; Johannesburg, South Africa; Milan, Italy; Amsterdam, Netherlands; and Malmo, Sweden. We have a policy to accommodate remote, flexible and autonomous working arrangements in return for a commitment to extremely high-quality deliverables, working to fulfil project goals, and consistently meeting deadlines. Where the candidate is located is less important than their professional ability, commitment, enthusiasm and personal energy.
Unfortunately, we cannot support work visa applications so you must have permission to work in the country where you intend to work when you apply.
This role is a full-time, permanent position.
How to apply:
If you are interested in being considered for this role, please send your CV, a cover letter and a writing sample to Hayley Flack at email@example.com with the email subject heading: “Senior Audit Manager application”. All applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until the position has been filled.
Shortlisted applicants will be invited to complete a written assessment exercise, followed by an interview.