Join the Team
TDi Sustainability (TDi) is looking for an experienced, enthusiastic, smart, curious, very analytical and detail-oriented ESG Data Analyst to fill a full-time position, starting immediately.
|Job title:||ESG Analyst|
|Reporting to:||Senior Consultant|
|Responsible for:||See below|
TDi is an advisory firm with an agenda: we aim to show that businesses from production to retail, site to shelf, mine to main street – can create long-term value and make a positive difference in people’s lives. TDi combines business consulting expertise, technical knowledge, value chain focus and our sustainability mission to solve complex problems and develop lasting solutions for our clients.
Our track record includes working with the world’s biggest companies and most recognisable brands, as well as lesser-known innovators, entrepreneurs and social enterprises. Our projects include building ESG management systems for investors; the design and application of supply chain due diligence tools and procedures; completing project level non-technical risk assessments and provision of subject matter expertise for sustainability audits; the development of commercialisation strategies for green products and services; and convening, managing and facilitating multi-company and cross-sector initiatives. We have also launched a new impact investment vehicle and non-profit organisation – The Impact Facility for Sustainable Mining Communities – to facilitate a flow of risk tolerant capital and technical assistance to small-scale miners and community enterprises in our clients’ supply chains. The Impact Facility has launched the Fair Cobalt Alliance and the Lake Victoria Gold Programme with brands including Fairphone, Fairtrade, Signify, Tesla, Glencore, Sono Motors and Solidaridad.
TDi is seeking an accomplished professional interested and experienced in applied research, corporate compliance, voluntary sustainability standards and due diligence. You will report to a TDi Senior Consultant, and work closely with other TDi team members.
- Leading research assignments, analyses, and technical writing projects;
- Developing management and due diligence assessment tools and presentational materials;
- Drafting and benchmarking of sustainability standards;
- Representing TDi at business events and conferences and contributing to the TDi website and social media posts.
Research and data analysis are a key part of this role; being comfortable with research methods and approaches to qualitative and quantitative data analysis is important. A love for detail, for getting to the heart of a problem, for data collection, logic and critical reasoning are skills and characteristics that are valued highly in this position.
Everyone who works in our team speaks directly with our clients, which means that strong written and verbal communications are a requisite, as well as confidence in dealing with people at different management levels and working in a range of institutional settings such as SMEs, corporations, NGOs and government agencies.
We are a small team, the members of which work remotely and travel frequently. The applicant will need to be happy working autonomously, managing their own time, prioritising work-load, thinking on their feet, and taking the initiative to ask questions and find solutions to problems.
The successful candidate will have the following skills and knowledge:
- Bachelor’s degree (2:1 or above) that demonstrates knowledge of relevant subject matter and, more importantly, skills in critical thinking, data gathering and analysis and writing: social geography, international development or policy, environmental or natural resource management, business and human rights. Master’s degree or MBA preferred
- Minimum of 5 years’ relevant professional work experience; for a sustainability standards setting initiative is preferred
- Research and analysis: experience in the completion of qualitative and quantitative desk-based research; instinct for investigative intelligence gathering; talent for analysing and organising data
- Excellent writing skills: concise, precise and clear; ability to synthesize, summarise and ‘get to the point’; aptitude for technical writing – presenting complex technical concepts clearly and simply
- Rigour and attention to detail: appetite for thoroughness, thoughtfulness and precision in all things
- Familiarity with voluntary standards, certification schemes and initiatives and the ability to critique and improve best-practice frameworks and assurance systems preferred. Examples of relevant standards and initiatives include Responsible Jewellery Council, Fairtrade, management system standards (e.g. ISO 14001, SA 8000.), IFC Performance Standards, OECD Due Diligence Guidance for Responsible Supply Chains of Minerals from Conflict-Affected and High-Risk Areas, UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights etc.
- Presentation: proven ability to present data, information and recommendations in written form and using charts, graphs, images and other visual aids; good verbal presentational skills an advantage, but potential more important than track record
- Knowledge of, or experience in, one or more industries preferred. (e.g., mining and mineral industry, electronics, automotive, energy sector, conflict minerals, food and agriculture)
- Language skills: Excellent English-language proficiency essential; French or Italian a distinct advantage
- Advanced level in MS Office (PowerPoint, Excel, Word and Outlook)
What we can offer you:
This is a chance to work with and learn from a very experienced team and to lead and contribute to several fascinating, influential and potentially ground-breaking projects in supply chain risk management, responsible sourcing, and impact investing.
- A contract for 40 hours per week
- A competitive salary, commensurate with experience
- Allowance for professional skill development
- Macbook and other equipment relevant for the workspace
- 23 days holiday per annum plus bank holidays
- Diverse, exciting and impactful work
- Being part of a dynamic and experienced international team passionate about serving its clients to build successful responsible businesses, and committed to corporate sustainability, human rights and social change
- Very flexible working hours and for working remotely, globally
TDI’s offices are located near Stroud, Gloucestershire, UK with satellite offices in New York City; Bogota, Colombia; Johannesburg, South Africa; Vancouver, Canada; and Malmo, Sweden. We have a policy to accommodate remote, flexible and autonomous working arrangements in return for a commitment to extremely high-quality deliverables, working to fulfil project goals, and consistently meeting deadlines. Where the candidate is located is less important than their professional ability, commitment, enthusiasm and personal energy.
Unfortunately we cannot support work visa applications so you must have permission to work in the country where you intend to work when you apply.
This role is envisaged as a full-time, permanent position.
How to apply:
If you are interested in being considered for this role, please send your CV, a cover letter and a writing sample to Hayley Flack at firstname.lastname@example.org with the email subject heading: “ESG Analyst”. All applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until the position has been filled.
Shortlisted applicants will be invited to complete a written assessment exercise, followed by an interview.